Under the Social Workers Act (gov.bc.ca), BCCSW’s statutory duties are to serve and protect the public; and to act in the public interest when exercising its powers, functions and responsibilities.
The College is unable to provide direction on specific circumstances. As such, the College is unable to pre-approve any particular element of the clinical application package prior to the completed package being submitted to Registration Services.
The following may assist with your decision-making:
- Please take the time to closely read the information under Application to Become a Registered Clinical Social Worker (RCSW)
- Please remember that clinical registration reflects advanced practice competencies. This is reflected in the minimum education requirement of an MSW. The College strongly recommends that all course work reflect this minimum educational requirement.
- Please read “Obtaining Clinical Supervision References” and “Professional Practice Considerations When Changing Registration Classes From RSW to RCSW’ in College-Conversation-Issue-17-Spring-2021-1.pdf (bccsw.ca).
- Please read “Professional Practice Considerations When Supervising an RCSW Applicant” in College-Conversation-Issue-16-Winter-2020.pdf (bccsw.ca)
- Ensure the Human Behaviour and Development course covers birth to death from a social work perspective/biopsychosocial perspective.
- Ensure the Assessment and Diagnosis course includes practising assessment and diagnosis using the DSM5.
- Ensure the Psychotherapy and Clinical Practice course includes evidence-based approaches and includes observation and feedback of your interviewing skills.
- Please note that you may be asked to provide proof of practising the skills in each course listed (e.g. graded papers or written feedback from your instructor) if this is not clear in the course description and/or syllabus.
- Please read ASWB’s Content Outline for the Clinical Examination.
- Please read ASWB Exam Guidebook.