Registered Social Worker (RSW)
A registrant in the Full class may use the title Registered Social Worker (RSW) and practice social work in British Columbia.
Social work is defined in the Social Workers Act as “the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and evaluation of individual, interpersonal and societal issues through the use of social work knowledge, skills, interventions and strategies, to assist individuals, couples, families, groups, organizations and communities to achieve optimum psychological and social functioning.”
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, social work includes the following:
- The provision of assessment, diagnostic, treatment, counseling and evaluation services within a relationship between a social worker and client;
- The development, promotion, management, administration, delivery and evaluation of human service programs, including that done in collaboration with other professionals;
- The provision of advocacy services;
- The provision of professional supervision to a social worker, social work student or other supervise;
- The provision of consultation services to other social workers or professionals in relation to the activities described in paragraph a) above;
- The development, promotion, implementation and evaluation of social policies aimed at improving social conditions and equality;
- The provision of services in organizing and/or mobilizing community members and/or other professionals in the promotion of social change;
- The conduct of research or provision of education regarding the practice of social work, as defined in paragraphs (1) to (7) above and (9) below;
- Any other activities recognized by the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
An RSW may engage in social work practice within an organization or in private practice.
An RSW must complete the annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements.
Application fee: $132 ($145.20 effective Dec. 1, 2023)
Annual fee: $281 ($309.10 effective Dec. 1, 2023)
New graduate fee (registration within the first year after graduation): $220 ($242 effective Dec. 1, 2023)
Application and Instructions